Ich bin in Deutschland verloren

11 Oktober 2006

Reflections (auf Englisch)

School's going great, in case everyone's wondering. I have my first test (Arbeit) on Montag, in Erdkunde (Earth System Science--AGAIN. I have a grand total of FIVE science classes here: Erdkunde, Physik, Biologie, Chemie, und NWT, which is a sort of combination of all of them) which I am decidedly going to flunk, not because I don't know what they're covering (though that is the class I got a C+ in freshman year...grr I hate Earth System Science) but because I don't know any of the Vokabeln auf Deutsch and none of it is in my Wörterbuch. But I'm studying hard, half the time not knowing what it IS I'm studying but whatever. All the girls in my class are nice, so it's all good.

There's the update I owe you all. The following are some quotes and lyrics that I've been reflecting on the past few weeks--It's been today officially one and 1/2 months since I've seen anybody from home, and even though that's not really a long long time I still think it deserves a Pause.



If you feel alone, and lost and need a friend
Remember every new beginning, is some beginning's end

Welcome to wherever you are
This is your life, you made it this far
Welcome, you gotta believe
That right here right now, you're exactly where you're supposed to be
Welcome, to wherever you are

When everybody's in, and you're left out
And you feel your drowning, in a shadow of a doubt
Everyones a miracle in their own way
Just listen to yourself, not what other people say

When you wanna give up, and your hearts about to break
Remember that you're perfect, God makes no mistakes

--Selections from 'Welcome to Wherever You Are' by Bon Jovi



Whatever this world was--a waking dream, another dimension, or simply a corner of Creation that God had made and forgotten--she was going to find herself a place in it and make sense of why she was here. If she didn't, her loneliness would grow and consume her in time.
"So what happens now?" she said.
"A very good question," Jimothi replied.

"You're not the same girl who thre herself into the Izabella, are you?"
Candy took a moment to think about this. But no more than a moment.
"No. No, I'm not." Then she said: "I'm somebody else. I just don't know who that somebody else is yet."
"Well, that's what journeys are for," Diamanda said.

--Selections from Abarat by Clive Barker



If the whole wide world is on your back
If the strength you need is the strength you lack
If you're in a crowd but all alone
If you can't stay here but you can't go home
If you can't answer all the why's
'Cause you're too tired to reach that high
I want you to remember
If you ever need me
You know where to find me
I will be waiting
Where I've always been
If you ever need me
You know where to find me
I have never left you
I'm where I've always been
Right by your side
Right by your side

--Selections from the song 'If You Ever Need Me' by Matthew West

Okay, so that's good for now. I miss everybody (and I'm kinda jealous of all you juniors--if you think physics is hard, try it in a different language) and I'll post again sometime (maybe) soon. Love y'all!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonym said...

Hey, Kiddo --

Sounds like you're having a very typical "long way from home" experience as I understand it! (Just got caught up on all the stuff in English. My sprechen-sie-Deutsch, is, well, "une disastre."

Interesting that they can peg you for an American, still - when I was in France, (almost 20, ahem, years ago), people would guess other ethnicities/nationalities (I was usually German or English), I think because Americans are such an amalgam. I wonder if that has changed since 9/11, or if Germans are more perceptive? My friend Kelly noted that shoes were a dead giveaway -- only Americans wear running shoes/sneakers, it seems. Not sure what else would identify us. I do remember that Canadian travelers always made sure that their flag was on everything so that they would *not* be mistaken for Americans...

And finally, while this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that you will never forget, it's also pretty hard being so far from home, isn't it? Your lyrics are great (nice citing, too! ;) - it sounds like you've got some good perspective. (And, it sounds like you're learning a lot - beyond science, too! ;)

Speaking of that, good luck with all that science!! In German!! What are they teaching you for history, any way?

Hope you are well. Looking forward to reading more posts!

Thinking of you --

Mrs. E.

P.S. First WHAP test today -- breakin' 'em in... ;)

9:43 PM  

Kommentar veröffentlichen

<< Home